By Samantha De La Riva, Holistic Nutritionist
No other month other than October gets me feeling so warm and hungry for the sweet flavours of dessert at Thanksgiving dinner, or having treats on the weekends under a heavy blanket.
I often think of flavours like pumpkin and caramel. We are all familiar with the famous Caramel pumpkin spice latte… Images of young couples walking in and out of coffee shops… Fall coats draped over their shoulders, and lattes in hand come to mind.
Thanksgiving brings me thoughts of hearty desserts filled with cream and sugar, and the colors brown, orange, and off white decorate every family member’s plate at the dinner table.
I do not eat dairy often anymore, and I really miss those fall treats I once inconsequently indulged in! I really want to indulge in those sweet flavors and colors, and share with you a dairy free version of a fall classic!
I put together a very easy recipe for a Vegan pumpkin pie with caramel coconut cream topping. To simplify things a little, I purchased the vegan pie crust pre made from whole foods. The pie and coconut cream topping is homemade from scratch.
1 vegan pie crust
1 15 0z can Pureed pumpkin
¾ cup full fat coconut milk
¼ cup corn starch
1/2 teaspoon each
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Mixing bowl and Mixer
1. Pre heat oven to 325 Degrees
2. Add all the pumpkin pie ingredients to a food blender and blend until smooth
3. Pour into the vegan pie crust and smooth out using a spatula
4. Bake in the oven for 45- 55 minutes. If you would like more browning, allow to stay in oven for 60 minutes
5. Allow to cool for 20 minutes. Place it in the fridge overnight (a minimum of 5 hours)
6. Top the pie with Vegan whipped coconut cream
Vegan whipped caramel coconut cream:
1 14 oz can of full fat coconut milk – (Whole foods 365 full fat brand)
¾ cup icing sugar
2-4 tablespoons Caramel Flavorall
1. Chill canned coconut milk, mixing bowl, whisks in the fridge overnight.
2. The next day, carefully remove the lid of the coconut milk without tipping the can. There will be thickened cream on the top which has separated from the liquid underneath it. Discard of the liquid or use for another recipe that calls for regular coconut milk.
3. Put the thickened coconut cream in the chilled mixing bowl. For 30 seconds, beat the cream. Add the powdered sugar and Flavorall and mix for a minute until smooth.
4. Use immediately as a topping for the pie or place in the fridge. It will become thicker in the fridge the longer you keep it there. Can be kept for 7-14 days.
Samantha De La Riva:
Based out of Ajax, Ontario, Samantha is a mother, Registered Yoga Teacher, and currently studying Holistic Nutrition at the Nutraphoria School of Holistic Nutrition. Samantha’s passion for cooking and living a healthy lifestyle has led her to where she is now. She is on a personal mission to spread the joy of eating delicious, wholesome foods and to make this accessible to families everywhere. Samantha is excited to share her knowledge on supporting our nutritional needs through eating well and taking care of our body and mind inside and out
Naturalene is exactly what you have been waiting for! With Natural Bee’s Wax as the base, Naturalene is much more than Bee’s Wax.Learn More
Greeniche Natural Health invites you to join Annu Gaidhu for complimentary yoga classes every Thursday and Sunday morning at the MindShare WorkSpace in Mississauga!Read More
If you have any questions or need help with your account, you may contact us to assist you.
To contact our Customer Service Department by phone, please call +1 877-254-5820
|There are no products|